We want good change. You tried playing with #Hindenburg and noticed that you can’t specify a custom icon. Whatev. You noticed that it also isn’t compatible with dashicons-extended. Awesome.
“Ok, fine. I’ll make a block anyway.” But.. It’s going to require some custom fields. No worries, I’ll make them… What the hell? Such a pain in the ass!
Extensibility is one of the reasons that used to made WordPress great, but Hindenburg reminds you of some Oracle or Microsoft abortion. Ma.tt tells you that “React is evil and gone, we’re going to support something else or everything… Just kidding! We love React!”
You know that Ahmad is totally awesome, but feel like he is fighting a battle that shouldn’t be fought.
The Need For Change
Indeed, it is time for change. We need to fork WordPress 4.9.x. However, we need to do it the right way, else it will end up like Ghost.
What Do We Do?
We need to collect smart people. We need to collect those who love #WordPress yet have noticed its shortcomings. We need people who have trademarked their own PHP namespace.
- We need someone who is good at the things like Kickstarter.
- We need several people that know how to and are willing to maintain a proper GitHub fork.
- We need people who believe that WordPress should remain a #framework, and are agnostic. Your favorite visual editor sucks, and that is what makes it awesome!
- We need someone who is good at organizing a group. Not Slack, not Gitter. We need a good GitHub community for maximum reach. Yes, you’ll have to deal with pointless rubbish. That which doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.
- We understand that clients love visual editors. It makes sense to us.
- We believe that you should use the best tool for the job.
- We believe that you should not hinder developers whose deadline was yesterday while their budget is a dime.
- We believe in open source. (the good kind)
- We believe that ancient methods need to die, but the revolutionaries should not destroy the village.
- We believe that vector images are swell. (Haha, just kidding. This is not a requirement – I am just a staunch Apple guy and prefer vectors.) hashtag hugs
- Most importantly, we need subscribers who are supporters. What does it take to be a supporter?
- Subscribe to the list.
- If this turns into anything worth a damn, repost it frequently.
Please just subscribe! We can’t work together if we can’t talk!
What is Your Damn Point?
- I want the good parts of WordPress to continue to exist.
- I want the nasty parts of WordPress to die via democracy.
- I want the user to have a voice, because sometimes I think that I’m right and end up being wrong.
How Do I Help?
If you’d like to be informed/involved, but please add your name on the list. If enough people care, I’ll try to put something together.
I may eventually shout out to ask what you are good at. Please respond.
Update: March 16, 2018 - Choosing a Project Name
Before we get too carried away, I think that we need a name for the project. If you’d like to comment, please post below, comment on the Gist above or subscribe.
I think that criteria for the name should be:
- We should reduce the possibility of it infringing on someone’s trademark, especially Automattic.
- For that effort and for better SEO, it would be nice if it had a .com and .org domain available.
- Ideally, it could be abbreviated with the letters “WP” – this would preserve consistency with existing function/constant/variable names. Think of words that start with “W” and “P”. An example (which is unavailable) would be “WritePad.”